I'm going to need a place to tinker. I'm thinking my storage building will be just about perfect.
- It's 10 feet by 12 feet, so I can stack all my boxes along one wall and have plenty of room left over.
- It's close enough to the house I can run electricity over from the GFCI-protected exterior outlets.
- I should have not problem getting wi-fi coverage from the routers in my living rooms.
It's going to take awhile to get the space ready to work. In the next feww weeks, I need to:
- Clean and organize. I'll need to build or buy some shelves and move all the boxes that are spread out in a 2-3 foot tall maze into a more orderly configuration along the right wall.
- I need to run the electricity out there. I've got a 50-foot box of 14-3 underground cable, and a GCFI-protected outlet close enough to use.
- After I get electricity, I'll need lights. I'm thinking a few CFLs should do it.
- Then I need to get my Shuttle PC set up. I already know where an extra 19" LCD and wall mount are, just need to track down a keyboard, mouse, and wifi adapter.
- Oh yeah, I need to build or buy a workbench.
- I desperately need to clean out and organize my tool chest and various tool bags. That'll probably take the better part of a Saturday.
Then we're good to go. By that time, the Arduino will have arrived and I can start working on the tutorial projects. I won't be surprised if I'm barely ready with the workshop by the time the CupCake ships.
on February 4, 2010